Are you stuck in a rut?
Do you long to climb out of your rut but just can’t seem to get a grip? Are you staring at a blank wall, wishing you could see some light?
You’re not alone. We all find ourselves stuck at various times in our lives.
Perhaps you’re stuck with -
- an unfulfilling relationship,
- a job that’s going nowhere,
- a wardrobe of clothes that need mothballing,
- a hairstyle you’ve had for ever,
- a daily routine that bores you stiff,
- a lifestyle that drains you.
Whatever reason you have for being stuck, I have the answer.
And it’s so simple.
Lonely? Helpless? Inadequate? Depressed? All of these?
You say -
- if only I had the confidence to…
- if only there was someone to get me out of here,
- if only life wasn’t so dull,
- if only I could feel proud of myself for once,
- if only…
Here’s my Simple Two Step Method that’ll get you out of your rut.
Two steps. That’s all it takes. Promise!
Step 1. Imagine
I want you to take the time to find a quiet corner where you won’t be interrupted.
- Ignore your phones, close your laptop and shut the door.
- Close your eyes and forget the gloom of your ‘rut’ for a few minutes.
- Sit still and simply let your imagination run riot.
- Imagine exactly how it would feel if you could leave your rut behind.
- Imagine that you have more confidence, that there is someone to get you out of here (you!), that life is fun and you do feel proud of yourself.
Imagine every detail. In colour. Imagine how you’d feel…
- That a huge weight has been lifted?
All you have to do is simply imagine how you’ll feel when it’s happened.
Let’s say your rut is being in a job that’s going nowhere.
Imagine that you have a job you love. Every detail.
- How are you feeling as you travel to work?
- How do you dress for this great job?
- How do you behave at work?
- How do people treat you?
Sounds a bit silly? It’s not. All you have to do is relax and imagine.
You’ll be able to…
- … see ahead instead of staring at the walls.
- … see yourself, out of your rut, and enjoying it.
- … gradually make the changes you need in order for your imagined life to be real.
Step 2. Act as if.
Let me explain.
You need to…
- ‘Act as if’ you’ve climbed out of your job rut,
- Carry out your job as if it is one you enjoy,
- Notice at least one positive about it, (It can’t all be negative, surely?)
- Start to feel as if you have something worthwhile to bring to this job.
When you act as if…
- The effect will be to lighten your load.
- Your changed demeanour and attitude will boost you to start taking action to change things.
- You’ll enjoy how it feels to be out of your rut so much that you’ll be highly motivated to make it happen.
- You’ll go about your work with a ready smile, a willingness instead of a reluctance, and the result will be that you’ll notice things starting to change.
- Your confidence will grow and you’ll start to scan the vacancies, talk to HR and start to take the necessary steps to finding a new job.
- Who knows, you might even see your present job in a new light!
So there you have it. Two simple steps to enable you to climb out of your rut. I dare you… to try!
In the comments…
- Any thoughts about this?
- Am I asking too much?
- Or could it work for you?
Have you seen our FB Page? Click here to pop over and give us a ‘Like’ – it’ll make my day.