People often tell me they’re feeling ‘lost’.
Feeling lost means different things to each of us but we all feel lost at some point in our lives. I certainly do!
The other day I set off to visit my daughter who has just moved house.
‘Are you sure you know the way, mum?’ she asked.
‘Oh yes! No problem!’ … (crossing my fingers and toes as I spoke.)
So… off I went.
It was fine at first. I zoomed along through familiar streets, thinking how silly she was to imagine I might get lost…
All the city streets seemed equally inviting. I drove down so many dead ends and had to turn around time and time again.
By the time I finally gave in and phoned her to ask for help I was almost in tears.
As we shared a cup of coffee I realised that its easy to get lost in many areas of life.
What can you do if it happens to you?
In this post I will talk about the common problem of feeling lost at work.
Feeling Lost in your job?
- You want to stay because you need the money.
- You want to leave because you ‘re not happy with the work.
- You go down blind alleys, dashing from one thought to the next.
- You’re frustrated at your lack of progress in finding your way.
- You’re angry because all pay rises are frozen.
- Everyone gives you different advice.
- You’re feeling lost. There’s nowhere to go.
Here’s how to find your way if you’re feeling lost at work.
- Focus on one route at a time.
Stop rushing around in circles.
Take a quiet moment or two to listen to your interior Sat Nav. It’s called Intuition.
Talk to yourself and say:
- you stay,
- you leave,
- you stay, but look for another job calmly and carefully,
- you stay, but talk to HR or your boss to work out how you could begin to like the job, what changes, even tiny tweaks, you could make so that you’re not so lost.
For each of the above, what’s your immediate gut reaction?
How does each of those possible routes make you feel?
Which sits most comfortably with you?
Are you sure?
Take the route that you feel happiest with and see where that leads you.
What’s the worst that can happen?
OK, you could get lost again, but at least you tried.
My guess is that you’ll discover the right route for you.
Tell us, in the comments,
- Are you feeling lost at work?
- How are you going to find your way?