A Confidence Cafe´customer asked this - Why do I lose friends so easily?
Not an easy question to answer but one I’ll try to answer next week.
Meanwhile I started to think carefully about what it takes to be a good friend because, if you want to have a friend, you need to be a friend. You might like to Tweet that.
Here’s my Simple Test to find out if you qualify as a Good Friend…or not…
(Just swap she/her for he/him as you wish.)
1. Can you list at least 5 things you have in common?
2. Do you try to lift her spirits when she’s sad or depressed?
3. Do you remember to call her, even when you’re soooo busy?
4. Do you know when her birthday is?
5. Would you forgo a day out/change your plans if you knew she needed your help?
6. Would you leave the house in the middle of the night to go to her if she needed you?
7. Do you encourage and support her when she’s unsure?
8. Do you keep in touch when you’re on holiday abroad?
9. Do you believe that you enrich her life?
10. Do you listen as well as talk?
11. When you quarrel, are you upset?
12. Do you try to be first to apologise?
13. Do you send thank you notes, for a meal or a gift? Or do you assume it’s not necessary?
14. Are you interested in how her children are doing?
15. Do you give her a call, even if it’s her ‘turn’ to call you?
16. Do you give an honest opinion when she asks, ‘Does my bum looks big in this?’ (Careful with this one!)
17. Do you have her best interests at heart?
18. Are you worried when she’s worried?
19. Are you able to stand in her shoes?
20. Do you tell her how much you value your friendship?
If you answered Yes to most of these questions (OK, not sure about no. 16…) then I believe you qualify as a good friend.
Your turn now – in the comments -
- Can you add any more items to my Friendship Test?
- How many ‘good friends’ do you have?
You’ll soon make friends here at the Café… no problem!
Post image by julie campbell on Flickr